Top 30 Fat Burning Superfoods
Today we want to share with you the top 30 fat burning superfoods. Burning fat isn’t the easiest thing in the world to do so you need all of the help you can get to slim down and tone up. Most nutritionists and trainers will tell you that 80% of your results will come from your diet. So it makes sense to fuel your body with the nutrients it needs to get the job done. One of the best ways to do that is to incorporate specific superfoods that can help to rev your metabolism and burn that stubborn fat.
What fat burning superfoods? There is no exact scientific definition for superfoods, but they are generally accepted as foods that contain high amounts of vitamins and minerals needed by the body to function. They are also known as good sources of antioxidants that help protect the body against cell damage and the progression of debilitating diseases.
Different fat burning superfoods work differently. While some help to keep your extra weight off by filling your stomach with nutrient dense calories and fiber, others help boost your metabolism by helping you build lean muscle.
Another action of fat burning superfoods is obviously for weight loss as they provide the body with extra energy to sustain daily activities.
This will help to keep you energized and motivated to complete the workouts necessary to achieve your fitness goals.
So, without further ado, here is a list of the top 30 fat burning superfoods.
1) Avocados -Avocados may contain a lot of fat but these are mono-saturated fats that help curb hunger and increase satiety. This fruit is rich in L-carnitine that can metabolize fat cells. It also contains ample amounts of insoluble and soluble fiber that impede hunger. In a study published in the Journal of Nutrition, researchers found that people who ate half of a fresh avocado fruit increased their satiety level by as much as 26%. Avocados are one of the top fat burning superfoods on our list.
2) Blueberries – Blueberries contain soluble fiber so they help you feel full for longer periods of time. This makes them a great choice when trying to lose weight. With high amounts of manganese, it also helps in the metabolism of fats, carbohydrates, and proteins. In a study from the University of Michigan Cardiovascular Center, it showed that the polyphenols in blueberries are effective in reducing belly fat and other metabolic syndromes like diabetes. Enjoy a cup of blueberries for breakfast or snack and see the results in a few weeks.
3) Green Tea – Instead of drinking coffee, substitute it with green tea. A 2009 study published in the Journal of Obesity noted that green tea contains a compound called epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG) which is an antioxidant that boosts the metabolism of the body. In a recent study by the Pennsylvania State University researchers, found that the EGCG in green tea also restricts the body’s fat absorption. This means that the fat is utilized by the body instead of being stored in the cells. To get the fat loss benefits of green tea, consuming two cups daily is recommended.
4) Grapefruit – Grapefruit has been known to help boost metabolism. Researchers from the University of California Berkeley noted that drinking grapefruit juice can curb weight gain even if the subject is fed a high-fat diet. To get the best results, eat half of the fruit before breakfast and the other half for lunch to boost the body’s metabolism.
5) Almonds – Almonds are not only rich in fiber and protein, but also in mono-saturated fats that are important for weight loss. They also contain zinc and Vitamin B to help curb any cravings for sugar. The best news – recent studies have shown that eating almonds can help you burn belly fat!
6) Oatmeal – Eating oatmeal for breakfast can help you shed unwanted fat. It contains beta glucan which is a type of soluble fiber that helps lower triglycerides in the blood. The soluble fiber can also help you feel fuller—longer. Regular intake of oats can help reduce the hip to waist ratio. When preparing oatmeal for breakfast, opt for rolled or steel cut oats and cook it in milk. Add healthy toppings of your choice.
7) Salmon – Salmon is a type of cold-water fish that helps to boost your metabolism. And it is high on the fat burning superfoods list. It also contains high amounts of Omega-3 fatty acids that provide protection against cardiovascular diseases. Moreover, it contains a lot of protein to help build muscle for efficient fat-burning. Experts recommend eating three servings of salmon every week.
8) Flaxseeds – Flaxseeds are a rich source of Omega-3 fatty acids – a very healthy kind of fat. It also contains a high amount of dietary fiber which is important for weight loss. In a study conducted in 2013 and published in the European Journal for Clinical Nutrition, it reported that Omega-3 helps prevent the onset of obesity. Experts recommend consuming 2.5 grams of flaxseed to help suppress the appetite longer. You can eat flaxseed straight from the container or you can sprinkle it on your juice, smoothie, cereals or soups.
9) Oranges – Oranges are rich in Vitamin C and fiber. In a study published in the journal of the American College of Nutrition, researchers found that Vitamin C can promote the natural production of L-carnitine which is a compound that reduces fat. The high fiber content of oranges also helps curb the appetite. So instead of drinking orange juice for breakfast, eat orange wedges instead as they contain high amounts of fiber and are a top fat burning superfoods. Moreover, try to steer clear from packaged orange juice as it contains a lot of preservatives and sweeteners.
10) Tomatoes – Tomatoes contain a fat-burning compound called 9-oxo-ODA (octadecadienoic) which is found in red fruits. It also contains lycopene and beta-carotene that can help in reducing stubborn belly fat. Tomatoes are also low in calorie and high in fiber which makes it a filling fat-burning superfood.
11) Hot Peppers – Hot peppers or chilies like jalapenos and habaneros do not only add spice to your food, but also help you lose weight because they are a top fat burning superfoods on the list. They contain capsaicin which is a compound that helps increase metabolism so that you can speed up the conversion of belly fat to energy. Aside from weight loss, hot peppers also have the potential to prevent stomach problems like ulcers as they have antibacterial properties.
12) Apples – Apples contain high amounts of pectin. This compound binds with water which fills your stomach as well as limits the amount of fat that your body absorbs. They also contain high amounts of fiber, which makes you feel full for a long time. Eat the peel as it is loaded with a lot of nutrients.
13) Raw Apple Cider Vinegar – There is a lot of buzz about raw apple cider vinegar and weight loss. Enzymes found in ACV helps in the digestion of food as well as regulate the blood glucose level. To get the most benefit, consume raw ACV that contains floating debris called “mother” as it contains live probiotics. You can add ACV to your salad or drink a spoonful of it 30 minutes before your meals.
14) Cinnamon – Cinnamon should not just be used for baking. Studies show that consumption of one tablespoon of cinnamon can help regulate the blood sugar level. Maintaining a good blood sugar level is important for weight loss because it affects your hunger, cravings, and energy.
15) Quinoa – Quinoa is a popular superfood that contains the complete chain of amino acids. This protein-rich food is ideal for muscle building. It also contains high amounts of fiber that can make you feel full longer. You can use this low glycemic food in salads, as a side-dish or make decadent yet low-calorie desserts with them.
16) Pine nuts – Pine nuts contain compounds that can suppress the appetite by working against the hunger hormone ghrelin. It also contains good fatty acids that help break down stubborn belly fat. Researchers noted, however, that pine nuts are high in calories so consuming a half of an ounce daily is enough to see benefits without it sabotaging your diet efforts.
17) Bananas – Bananas contain high amounts of soluble fiber that helps slow down digestion causing you to feel full for a long time. It is a great fruit for those who wish to lose weight because it is very versatile. You can add it to your oatmeal, smoothies or desserts.
18) Mushrooms – Whether it is crimini, portabella or shiitake, mushrooms are very low in calories and fat. They also contain potassium, which is necessary for improved blood pressure and blood sugar regulation. It is also essential for good muscle function. It is a great alternative for those who want to avoid eating meat.
19) Coconut Oil – A tablespoon of coconut oil has 14 grams of saturated fat. Recent studies show that the saturated fat – lauric acid–in coconut oil is a medium-chain fatty acid (MCFA) which is easily digested by the body and converted into energy. In a study conducted by the University of Geneva, human subjects who consumed two tablespoons of coconut oil lose 120 calories per day.
20) Sweet Potatoes – Sweet potatoes are great for dieters because they are low in calories but are high in fiber. They are also digested slowly in the stomach. They also contain nutrients that can lower insulin resistance thus stabilizing blood sugar.
21) Lentils – Lentils are high in fiber thus it helps you feel full for a long time. The high fiber content makes the absorption of sugar slower thus it keeps your blood sugar levels from spiking too much. The fiber also helps bind fats inside the digestive system so that it is not absorbed by the body. It is also a good source of protein for muscle building.
22) Eggs – Through the years, eggs got a bad reputation as a high cholesterol food. However, recent studies found that eggs contain healthy fats and good cholesterol. They are also good sources of lean protein that can help burn fat throughout the day. They are a good source of nutrition to include in your fat burning meal plan.
23) Olive Oil – Olive oil, unlike coconut oil, does not contain MCFA but it contains high density lipoproteins (HDL) or good cholesterol. It also has potent anti-inflammatory benefits which can benefit anyone struggling with diseases like fibromyalgia, diabetes, skin problems and obesity. You can use olive oils in salad dressings or in cooking food.
24) Chicken Breast – Lean chicken breasts are high in quality protein which can help you build lean muscle. This superfood is a must if you are doing strength training. Make sure that you eat skinless chicken breasts to avoid consuming fat.
25) Greek Yogurt – Unlike regular yogurt, Greek yogurt contains higher amounts of protein and less sugar thus providing you with the necessary amino acids for muscle building. You can use it as an alternative to unhealthy toppings like whipped cream and it can be used to whip up many different tasty desserts.
26) Broccoli – Broccoli is low in calories but high in nutrients and fiber thus it can aid in weight loss. The super nutrients in this veggie can also help to improve your body’s immune system. You can eat it boiled, steamed, roasted or even broiled as long as you skip the cheese topping!
27) Asparagus – Asparagus is a natural diuretic thus it can help rid the body of excess water – especially the dreaded belly bloat. It also helps eliminate the toxins causing inflammation and it is a good probiotic. Studies show that the general health of your gut bacteria can help regulate weight.
28) Kidney Beans – Kidney beans are rich in iron, potassium and magnesium which protect the body against the accumulation of fats and bad cholesterol. It also contains protein which helps in muscle building. The high fiber content of kidney beans can regulate the blood sugar level. There are many recipes that you can prepare using this weight loss superfood.
29) Goji Berries – Goji berries are bright tiny Asian berries that are known in the superfood industry to help regulate blood sugar levels. They are also jam-packed with a lot of fiber so that you feel full for a long time. They also contains chromium which is an important trace element for preserving lean muscle mass and regulating the blood sugar levels. Use it on salads or add it to your oatmeal for extra sweetness.
30) Kale – What makes kale a fat-burning superfood? It has high oxygen radical absorbance capacity which is the ability of food to fight free radicals. The high amount of antioxidants in kale can fight off inflammatory diseases including obesity. A cup of kale is equivalent to 33 calories and contains high amounts of vitamins and minerals. You can mix it to your smoothies or make salad out of it.
So there you have it out top 30 fat burning superfoods, enjoy!
You can get our best fat burning exercises here.
It would be great to hear from you now. What fat burning superfoods do include in your diet?